T-28 - Removal of the Degtjareva DT's

Questions & Answers about Finnish Medium & Heavy tanks of WWII

T-28 - Removal of the Degtjareva DT's

Postby jopedk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Hello all Finnish armor enthusiasts

I am building an abandoned Russian T-28e (1/35 ICM) during the Winterwar. The crew have abandoned the tank and have removed all the machineguns in a hurry. My problem is how would this look like. Could they simply have removed the guns or would they have had to remove the ball mounts as well?
jopedk

Re: T-28 - Removal of the Degtjareva DT's

Postby Martti Kujansuu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 pm

jopedk wrote:The crew have abandoned the tank and have removed all the machineguns in a hurry. My problem is how would this look like. Could they simply have removed the guns or would they have had to remove the ball mounts as well?

Hello,

Probably just the guns if the vehicle is close to the front. You can't remove the mount without right tools in hurry but the weapons is as usefull without the mount as with it in infantry use.

Martti
Martti Kujansuu

Postby jopedk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:05 am

Hello Martti

Thank you very much for your reply. It seems logic that the crew would have left the tank without the ball monts. But is it possible to just pull the mg's out of the ball monts? It would be much more conveniet to leave the ball mounts in the model (since I have allready built it) and just drill out the holes where the mg's are sticking out. However my sources seems to suggest that the entire ball mount have been removed. Please see attached photos.

Best regards

johnny Pedersen
Denmark

T-28 interior.JPG
T-28 interior.JPG (58.08 KiB) Viewed 13503 times
Captured T-28.jpg
Captured T-28.jpg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 13500 times
jopedk

Postby M2WHITE » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 am

Hello there.

In that picture of turret interior, the complete ball mount has been removed, but DT can also be pulled out of the ball by releasing a simple lever locking meghanism that is attatched to the rear of the ball mount. If you are making a model with no wiew to the interior, then you can simply drill out the hole in the ball mount.
M2WHITE

Postby jopedk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi M2White

Thank you very much for your reply. what puzzle me is the attached photos clearly showing the removed ball mounts on the attached picture of a captured T-28. Perhaps the finns have towed this example to a rear-area and have begun an overhaul?
Attachments
Captured T-28 2.jpg
Captured T-28 2.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 13455 times
jopedk

Postby Jaakko Pihlaja » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Or perhaps they have removed these ball mount earlier so they would have slightly better view outside and "sacrificed" some of T-28's fire power. With that ball mount on, view to outside is nearly zero...
Jaakko Pihlaja

Postby jopedk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 am

Hel lo Jaakko

Thank you for your reply. That could be an explanation.

Johnny
jopedk

Return to Q&A Finnish Medium & Heavy tanks