The first post-war tanks

Questions & Answers about Finnish post-war tanks

The first post-war tanks

Postby M.E.M.A. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:40 am

What were the first post-war tanks like? Some cold-war era Soviet and British tanks? Or Swedish? What did the crews think and feel about those tanks?

Best regards by M.E.M.A.
M.E.M.A.

Re: The first post-war tanks

Postby AndreasLarka » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:19 am

M.E.M.A. wrote:What were the first post-war tanks like? Some cold-war era Soviet and British tanks?

The first post-war tanks bought were British Charioteer and Comet -tanks. They arrived between 1958 and 1961.

The first Soviet T-54s arrived between 1959 - 1961. Due to the extensive trade between Finland and the Soviet Union most of the equipment purchased hereafter was from the Soviet Union.

M.E.M.A. wrote:What did the crews think and feel about those tanks?

I don't know. I guess the arrival of any modern equipment must have felt very good. The other tanks in use in that time was very worn-out equipment from the war. Having something brand new and - at that time - state of the art equipment must have been wonderful.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

Site Admin for http://www.andreaslarka.net
AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Auctions

Postby M.E.M.A. » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:19 pm

Soon the Finnish Defence Forces will sell the old reserved Charioteers and Comets soon at the coming auctions. The tanks' cannons have been deactivized, of course. These have not combat-historical values for Finns, only being the first post-war ones, but they were designed during WW2. I bet that some foreign bueyrs would use them in some war movies.
:)
M.E.M.A.

Re: Auctions

Postby AndreasLarka » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:12 pm

M.E.M.A. wrote:Soon the Finnish Defence Forces will sell the old reserved Charioteers and Comets soon at the coming auctions.

Yep,
Here is the link to the Finnish Army auction page. The page have some pics of the tanks to be sold. They are also selling off three StuGs.

Suddenly I feel a great need for piles and piles of cash... :D
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

Site Admin for http://www.andreaslarka.net
AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby M.E.M.A. » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Ah! That's interesting! Even the Sturmis are in the auction! But they are only some piles of scrap metals. Surely somebody will buy them as spare parts for their Sturmi projects. I bet for non-Finnish ones.
M.E.M.A.

Return to Q&A Finnish Modern tanks