A few pointers regarding the new Dragon StuG III Early -kit

Questions & Answers about Finnish assaultguns of WWII

A few pointers regarding the new Dragon StuG III Early -kit

Postby AndreasLarka » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 am

FYI:
Regarding the commanders cupola on the new Dragon StuG III Early -kit. The Dragon instruction sheet has got it wrong! If you build like the instructions say you end up with a late non-moveable cupola.

In the early copola the commanders binoculars should be attached at the plated-over front part of the cupola and the hatch should be hinged at the middle-rear periscope. The cupola rotates and the commander can use his binoculars in any direction. See the pics below:

- - -

Furthermore the instructions tells us to attach the triangular support plate to the fendersupports. But Dragon forgets that the triangular support is useless if the base of the fendersupport isn't raised:

- - -

A smaller thing to take care of is the left lifting-hook on the rear deck. The instructions tells us to attach it up-side-down! This is a lifting hook not a hook for your bathrobe...

Last edited by AndreasLarka on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

Site Admin for http://www.andreaslarka.net
AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby Antoine » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:25 pm

This kit is on my list, and it will be a Finnish StuG.
So, sure that your post will help.
Thanks, Andreas.
Antoine

Postby Jaakko Pihlaja » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:27 pm

You apparently have this model already?

Is it worth of its hype? And is it Alkett, Miag, or M.A.N. version?
Jaakko Pihlaja

Postby AndreasLarka » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Jaakko Pihlaja wrote:Is it worth of its hype? And is it Alkett, Miag, or M.A.N. version?

Yes it's worth every word of hype! You can build it as an early Alkett (none of these in Finland) or as a MIAG -vehicle (pultti-Sturmi).

I wrote a review of the kit in the latest Mallix-magazine. It should be available in stores right now.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby François » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:14 am

Your numerous precisions have been very helpful in making my choice of building! The only thing I regret is to sacrifice two front transmission hatch from Tamyia Pz. III to build Ps. 531-8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
François

Postby AndreasLarka » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:04 am

François wrote:The only thing I regret is to sacrifice two front transmission hatch from Tamyia Pz. III to build Ps. 531-8

You can always make resin copies of the hatches and use them. Please send some pictures of your model when it is ready.

Edit: I just uploaded a color-drawing of Ps.531-8 "Aili". Maybe it can be of some help for your painting.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby Jaakko Pihlaja » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Your link to colour guide is wrong.

Address should be:

http://www.ipmsfinland.org/artikkeli_ar ... aalit.html

:wink:

I don't think there is an english version of this article... :?
Jaakko Pihlaja

Postby AndreasLarka » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Jaakko Pihlaja wrote:I don't think there is an english version of this article... :?

There was one at the old pages, but after the renewal of the IPMS-Finland site the english version is gone.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby François » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:56 am

AndreasLarka wrote:
François wrote:The only thing I regret is to sacrifice two front transmission hatch from Tamyia Pz. III to build Ps. 531-8

You can always make resin copies of the hatches and use them. Please send some pictures of your model when it is ready.

Edit: I just uploaded a color-drawing of Ps.531-8 "Aili". Maybe it can be of some help for your painting.

Since I have never tried resin casting, I now look for parts that I can sacrifice on an unwanted kit (the hinges). Up to now, I have not looked seriously into this problem as I have plenty of building to do. The construction is going well, and I'm amazed by the high quality of the kit!!!!!

The color drawing will indeed be helpfull, and I'm even thinking of building my T-34 model 1941 in Finnish colors!!!!!!!!
François

Postby François » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:51 pm

Good news! I bought today Dragon's new Pz III Ausf J, and this solved my front hatch transmission problem!!!! The kit just happened to have one piece, front opening transmission hatches! Now I have all that I need to transform the Stug part, so construction of Ps. 531-8 can continue!!!!!!!!!!!
François

Postby AndreasLarka » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:08 pm

François wrote:Now I have all that I need to transform the Stug part, so construction of Ps. 531-8 can continue!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats nice to hear! I have thought about doing the same thing myself, but I find a wee bit expensive...
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby François » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:47 am

If you don't plan on building the model, it's sure is a expensive way of fixing the problem!!!!! When I take the measurements, I can try to make a little sketch and post it on the forum!!!!!!!
François

Postby François » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:03 pm

The sketch is done, now the hard part.... To do a drawing on the computer and put it here...

Does someone have a couple of wartime pics of Ps 531-8, so I can do some weathering and some battle dammage?[/img]
François

Return to Q&A Finnish Assaultguns