Any Finnish tank aces?

General questions about Finnish tanks and equipment

Any Finnish tank aces?

Postby M.E.M.A. » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:32 am

Hello! The people are talking a lot of combat airplane aces. Also the people are talking about such foreign tank aces, as russian Dmitri Lavrinenko, german Michael Wittmann, american Layafette G.Pool and so on.

How about Finnish tank aces? Their kill tables? :?:
M.E.M.A.

Re: Any Finnish tank aces?

Postby AndreasLarka » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:16 am

M.E.M.A. wrote:How about Finnish tank aces? Their kill tables?

The language of this forum is English only. Please respect that.

The "kills" were given to the gunner, not the commander of the tank. Strangely enough the kills were only counted starting from the summer of 1944. Therefore the gunners that took part in the advancing part of the Continuation War in 1941 didn't get any kills marked for that period.

The highest Finnish scorer is Lance Corporal O. Soimala, the gunner of Ps.531-10 "Bubi". His score was 11 kills (unofficially 15, but for some reason they weren't marked). He got the kills between June 25th and July 12th 1944.

Second is Lance Corporal Korpr. M. Kokkonen, the gunner of Ps.531-12 "Lea". His score was 9 kills. He also got the kills between June 25th and July 12th 1944.

Third is Corporal O. Taponen, the gunner of Ps.531-5 and Ps.531-6. His score was 8 kills. He got his kills between June 15th and June 25th 1944.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

Site Admin for http://www.andreaslarka.net
AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby M.E.M.A. » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks for some datas about Finnish tank aces. I will browse the internet more datas about them, excellent men.

I see. There is also some foreigners who read this mighty tank forum and that's why we have to talk only English.

:)
M.E.M.A.

Postby M.E.M.A. » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Andreas, it seems that only here in your home pages are the best data sources and tables about Finnish tank aces, who seemed to have been just only in the Sturmi tanks. The crews of the other tank models seemed to have got only single kills against the enemy tanks.
I have difficulties to find any good data sources about other Finnish tank gunners from the internet.

http://www.andreaslarka.net/sturmi.html
Last edited by M.E.M.A. on Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.E.M.A.

Postby AndreasLarka » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:08 am

M.E.M.A. wrote:. . . who seemed to have been just only in the Sturmi tanks.

My list is only about the Sturmis, so...

But sure there are other gunners as well. For example Mr. Lehväslaiho have around four kills if I recall correctly. And, as stated earlier, I bet there are a bunch of other guys that didn't get any official kills for the beginning of the Continuation War.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby M.E.M.A. » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Ah, all's right! :D
M.E.M.A.

Postby Jaakko Pihlaja » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 pm

AndreasLarka wrote:
M.E.M.A. wrote:How about Finnish tank aces? Their kill tables?

The language of this forum is English only. Please respect that.

The "kills" were given to the gunner, not the commander of the tank. Strangely enough the kills were only counted starting from the summer of 1944. Therefore the gunners that took part in the advancing part of the Continuation War in 1941 didn't get any kills marked for that period.

Mr. Lehväslaiho said that commander had nearly nothing to do with kills. Commander only named the target(s), gunner decided himself when to pull the trigger and how to aim...

That said, my personal opinion is that kills that are pointed to I.E. Whitman, should be pointed to either the gunner OR the whole tank crew...
Jaakko Pihlaja

Postby AndreasLarka » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:18 am

Jaakko Pihlaja wrote:That said, my personal opinion is that kills that are pointed to I.E. Whitman, should be pointed to either the gunner OR the whole tank crew...

My feelings exactly. I think that the whole crew should get the credits.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby Antoine » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:29 am

Agree for the whole tank crew.
It's really a team work.
Antoine

Return to Q&A General Finnish questions