Independent Tank Detachement / 1. Div

General questions about Finnish tanks and equipment

Independent Tank Detachement / 1. Div

Postby jepari » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Early in the Continuation War the 1.inf Div had an Independent Tank Detachement/Platoon which operated a T-28 and some other armoured vehicles.
Was this a unit assigned from the the Armour Battalion or was it an "ad hoc" unit ?
As far as I know the T-28 was captured/salavged by soliders from the 1. In. Div close to Lake Nousjaervi

At one time, in the US, the propably best know Finnish war hero - Lauri Toerni (or Larry A Thorne) - was the tank commander of the T-28

And I assume these vehicles were at some time transfered to the Armour Battalion / Armour Brigade .. ?
jepari

Postby AndreasLarka » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:49 am

Early in the Continuation War some of the captured tanks were used outside of the regular Armoured battallion. I.e. the troops that captured the tanks started using them.
Officially all captured tanks were to be given to the Armoured batallion, but some of the commanders of these "wild" tanks were quite reluctant to give them up.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

Site Admin for http://www.andreaslarka.net
AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Postby jepari » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:11 pm

Thanks !

That was what I suspected ... I've seen several references to Infantry units who had been operating from one up to a few vehicles, and did not quite think that these vehicles always were assigned from regular Armoured units. Just like sniper rifles tended to be kept within the unit instead of being turned in to the armory .. :D
jepari

Return to Q&A General Finnish questions