Moved: Softskins

General questions about Finnish tanks and equipment

Moved: Softskins

Postby jefe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:33 pm

Hello,

I am looking for information about soft skin vehicles used within tank formations (types, camo), especially of German, French or British origin.

Regards
Jens :)
jefe

Re: Moved: Softskins

Postby AndreasLarka » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 pm

jefe wrote:. . . within tank formations . . .

Do you mean in the Finnish Armoured Division during WWII?
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

Site Admin for http://www.andreaslarka.net
AndreasLarka
Site Admin

soft skins

Postby jefe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:58 pm

Hello,

I mean armoured division in particular, but also soft skins in general military use.

The reason behind myy question is that I would like to build a wartime diorama for my model railway and there is only a limited variaty of vehicles available, e.g.

Cars:

Opel Admiral
Opel Olympia
Mercedes 170V (civil and kuebelwagen)
VW Kuebelwagen and Schwimmwagen
Citroen Traction Avant
Renault Juva 4

Buses

Mercedes 3500
Citroen
Bedford

Trucks:

Opel Blitz 3ton (metal and wooden cab)
Opel Blitz 1,5 ton
Opel Blitz Maultier
Ford 3ton
Ford 3ton Maultier
Mercedes L2500
Mercedes L3500
Mercedes L10000
Citroen U23
Citroen 3ton
Renault AHN
Renault AHG

And there are several British cars, busses and trucks available.

Jens
jefe

Re: soft skins

Postby AndreasLarka » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:28 pm

jefe wrote:I mean armoured division in particular, but also soft skins in general military use.

Assuming that you are doing a Finnish diorama (I really would like to keep this forum about Finnish stuff) I must say that I don't know much about the Finnish softskins.

The Finnish Army used many civilian trucks that was pressed into military service during the war, so there were many different marks of trucks and cars used. In the beginning they were used with the company-names still painted on the doors or on the back of the truck. Later on they were camo-painted.
Finland had some Kübelwagen, but no Schwimmwagen -cars. Amoung the trucks were Ford 3ton and Büssing-Nag.

Let's hope that somebody else of the forum members can provide you with more info about Finnish WWII softskins.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Finnish soft skins

Postby jefe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:31 pm

You are right, the diorama will be a Finnish one (to be built in N scale). The idea is to built a railway station behind front line where Finnish troops are loaded/unloaded.

Which colour was used to camouflage soft skins, dark green ? While Sturmis delivery by Germany 1943/1944 were repainted, does this apply to soft skins delivered together with the Sturmis, too? Or were they left in German colours? And do you know whether VW Kübels were delivered before 1943?

Regards
Jens
jefe

Re: Finnish soft skins

Postby AndreasLarka » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:20 pm

jefe wrote:Which colour was used to camouflage soft skins, dark green?

Prior to 1943 the Finnish equipment was painted in all Dark Green. During 1943 the three tone camo was applied.

jefe wrote:While Sturmis delivery by Germany 1943/1944 were repainted, does this apply to soft skins delivered together with the Sturmis, too? Or were they left in German colours?

There are pics of the Bussing Nags in three colour camo. There are also pics of Kübels in one single colour. The colour is quite light in the B&W pictures, so they might still be painted in the German Dunkelgelb.

jefe wrote:And do you know whether VW Kübels were delivered before 1943?

Not that I know of.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Return to Q&A General Finnish questions