Sturm tanks in unknown army depots

Questions & Answers about Finnish assaultguns of WWII

Sturm tanks in unknown army depots

Postby jiipee76 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:52 pm

Hello Andreas,

I checked your awesome tank www-pages and found out that finnish army still have these Sturmgeschutz´s in VERY sad condition and no anykind of roof over them for protection.Do you know exactly,which army depots have these units and how many are there? There was this one picture in your pages,which had 3 units visible on same picture on same location.

Why army have not sell these tanks if they dont need em(or maybe give them to museums in finland or around the world),i believe they are nowdays worth of big money and wanted also on various WW2 museums.Same thing happened to finnish messerschmitt aeroplanes,which were sold to some scrapyard in 70´s.Those planes would be nowdays worth of very big money.

I also believe there would be lot of finnish volunteers to repair these beautiful units,before it is too late and hard work to do it.And definetly there would be places in finland to place them after fixing.
jiipee76

Re: Sturm tanks in unknown army depots

Postby AndreasLarka » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:25 pm

jiipee76 wrote:Do you know exactly,which army depots have these units and how many are there?

Yes of course I know the name of the depot, I have been there... :wink:
The Army don't want the name of the depot published. There are 6 StuG's in this depot.

jiipee76 wrote:I also believe there would be lot of finnish volunteers to repair these beautiful units,before it is too late and hard work to do it.And definetly there would be places in finland to place them after fixing.

I do believe that at least Ps.531-22 is going somewhere (hopefully here in Finland). Otherwise it wouldn't have been repainted. Otherwise than that I don't know what the Army is planning for the StuG's. Hopefully they will be transported to the museum in Parola.
Andreas Lärka
Helsinki, Finland

Site Admin for http://www.andreaslarka.net
AndreasLarka
Site Admin

Return to Q&A Finnish Assaultguns